Sunday 19 October 2014

Character & Narrative, friday october 17th and onwards

Modelling/animating


While Mat was explaining I started to entertain myself before we would start with the assignment for that day. Earlier this week I found a zombie rig from the move Hotel Transylvania. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and create a movement that isn't as realistic as I've always been doing. I thought using a zombie as subject for this is a great first step to do this. I started discovering the rig and start posing it and after a while Mat came with the tip to look up for reference (oh well duh, we've been doing this before as well, how could I not think of this? Stubborn ass). I came already to the conclusion that I don't like this rig as much as I love Mery, but I'll try to make it work anyway.


Then after introduction was finished the assignment for next week is to model two objects, the first being a truck (with the use of the guide provided on estudio) Because I like many polygons for some reason, my truck consists of many, many more than the example provided, but I like it anyway, I didn't add any more detail to the truck like windows or doors because it would take way too much time (and since it's not in the assignment I left it as it was) 


After that I paid attention to Mat explaining hypershade and that's when I thought, hmm better pay attention since I'm a shit when it comes to shading. I played around a bit with different shaders and created a low poly environment because I thought it would fit the look of the truck a bit. (it reminds me of those 90's computer games. copy paste a tree and alter it a bit.)



The other half of the assignment was to model an object you have close, so I modelled my tea mug. I chose this mug because this way I can play around again with UVmapping, trying out the different options of mapping again. (and trying to replicate a pattern in photoshop is always fun. Even though I failed miserably) 




I'm still not a 100% sure about the choice of shading. I tried to look for some help on the internet on shading ceramic objects but it didn't exactly come out the way I wanted it to. Maybe look a bit better for tutorials on that the next week.


Acting up: Lyrics.

I haven't chosen my definite lyrics yet, but I'll post the ones I have right now down here. Better start sketching some ideas this week. This way I can also do research on tone of voice and style of performance, which I should be doing if I want to stay on schedule. Another thing I can try and research on is the character design when I know for sure what lyrics I'm using. Since I want to push myself a bit further this semester and I really want to model and rig again, I better be more on time this time round.
Also. Make a planning Danique, gosh.

Bike - Pink Floyd 
I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
things that make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it 
(chose this one as one of the first because it makes me laugh a lot and it makes not much sense)

Holland Road - Mumford and Sons
So I was lost, go count the cost
Before you go to the Holland Road
With your heart like a stone, you spared no time in lashing out
And I know your pain and the effect of my shame
but you cut me down you cut me down.
(Maybe a performance type of animation with change of tone and emotion: calm-loud)

The Son Never Shines On Closed Doors - Flogging Molly
She said she never shines on closed doors,
I open to find only hurricane blow.
Take me away to the fields of may
Because the Son never shines on closed doors
(I only felt something on the second and third line, but after a while I feel a bit "meh" about this one)

What's Left Of The Flag - Flogging Molly
Then the rosary beads count then 1, 2, 3, fell apart as they hit the floor
In a garb of black we must pay respect to the color we were born to mourn
Walk away me boys, and by morning we'll be free
Wipe that golden tear from your mother dear, and 
raise what's left of the flag for me.
(Since it's always sung in a upsweeping manner, I felt excited about this one, I was thinking about how the objects used in the lyrics can be possibly used to play with camera angles in an animation.)

Jugband Blues - Pink Floyd
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
that I'm not here
And I never knew the moon could be so big
And I never knew the moon could be so blue
And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes
And brought me here instead dressed in red
(I got a bit of serenade-y feel from listening to this so might be something like that?)

Fat Old Sun - Pink Floyd
When the fat old sun in the sky is falling
Summers evening birds are calling
Summer's thunder time of the year,
The sound of music in my ears
Distant Bells
New mown grass smells so sweet
By the river holding hands
Roll me up and lay me down
And if you sit, don't make a sound
(again a bit serenade-y, recalling memory kind of feeling. Performance like.)

The Sick Note - The Dubliners
Dear sir I write this note to you to tell me of my plight
And at the time of writing I am not a pretty sight
Me body is all black and blue, me face a deathly grey
And I write this note to say, why Paddy's not at work today
While working on the fourteenth floor, some bricks I had to clear
Now to throw them from such a height, was not a good idea
The foreman wasn't very pleased, he being an awkward sod
He said I'd have to carry them down the ladders in me hod
Now, clearing all the bricks by hand, it was s very slow
So I hoisted up a barrel, and secured the rope below
But in me haste to do the job, I was too blind to see
That a barrel full of building bricks was heavier than me
(The story is very funny, something like slapstick came to mind. Maybe skip the first verse since it'll be too long otherwise.)

The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
and he carries the reminders 
of ev'ry glove that laid him down
And I cut him till he cried out
in his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains
(Not really sure what I thought when writing this down. A scene came to mind but on second thought it might not be as much "lip-sync worthy")

Wing$ - Macklemore
I was seven years l got my first pair
And I stepped outside
I was like, "Mamma, this air bubble right here, it's gonna make me fly"
I hit back-court and when I jumped,
UI jumped, I swear I got so high
I touched the net, "Mom, I touched the net"
This is the best day of my life
(always liked the song of its emotion and message. After watching the videoclip I realised my idea for this was practically the same as the music video so I might scratch this.)

Sin - Kontrust
One forbidden touch, and one drink too much
Different skin felt, my possessions melt
oh I don't regret this kiss, such a short time bliss
Man I need so much more, nothing will be like before
Will I stand right here forever?
In the middle of nowhere.
Talk to me
Should I stay or will you leave?
Talk to me
I think of her but you don't think of me
Talk to me
(Personal environment, speaking out own thoughts, frustration taking over?)

Let's Talk About Me - Alan Parson's Project
Let's talk about me for a minute, 
Well how do you think I feel about what's been going on
Let's talk about me for a minute
Well how do you think I feel about what's gone wrong
Let's talk about dreams, I never learned to read the signs
Let's talk about what it all means, I never seem to have the time
Let's talk about you and your problems
All that I seem to do is spend the night
Just talking about you and your problems
No matter what I say I can't get it right.
(A person screaming out their frustrations comes to mind...)

Movements - The Solutions (솔루션스)
You are like a shining star upon the sky
Like a feeling of a little smile
Hard to be unseen everyday to all
But get attention everywhere you are
You're on a planet spinning out of control
But never falling down on way you go
I'm gonna keep you close in way you are
I'm going everywhere you are
(It seems like I have a thing for serenade-y kind of songlyrics, don't I? But yeah, that kind of setting comes to mind. Also, movements might be really big, animated, fun)

Little Italy - Little Comets
Left wing, savoir faire
Ageing flicks of my thin brown hair
Like an elegy, soaking me
Drenched in the language of social mobility
But I don't seem to mind,
the gruesome link between
people and time
It's an enemy telling me
The wheels of profit
are circling in the opposite
Life don't animate
just creeps up on you slowly
Surely holy water
flows just as normal water does?
In Little Italy I re-adhere
(I really like the lyrics but on second thought I don't think I can do something with this visually)

No comments:

Post a Comment