Thursday 23 October 2014

Updating the mug 22 october

I wanted to update the texture on my mug because I wasn't satisfied the last time when I was working on it. At first I selected a Phong surface because I wanted to layer it with a dielectric texture. (I was trying to follow along an explanation somebody used on the internet. In the end  I couldn't figure out how it worked so I gave up on the idea and tried to find another solution)

I wanted a bit more reflection of the red cloth on the mug, without losing the semi-matte finish I was trying to achieve. So I went on using different textures and altering those textures to different lengths. I used a layered shader but it didn't work the way I wanted it to, so I switched to a mia_material after looking up some more information about the special textures in mental ray. It seemed like you could select a certain texture (copper, ceramic) and it will provide you with the basic texture with lots of possibilities to alter/layer it.


After finishing up the texture I went to play a bit with the lighting. I got rid of the spotlight and wanted to create a more "realistic looking surrounding/lighting". For as far as it would work that is. I didn't want to put too much time into creating the surroundings, so planes sufficed. But then I stumbled upon the problem with the shadows that are being cast because of the vertical planes (which represent walls, imagine the table located in a corner) Even though the walls are placed way beyond the lights, it managed to create a shadow on it's own surface. I'll have to ask Mat how to fix that so I won't make the same mistake next time. As far as the texture goes, I'm happy with how it turned out right now. Even though it doesn't look really realistic right now and I didn't manage to get the red cloth reflection in the end, I'm more happy with these results than the ones I achieved before.









No comments:

Post a Comment