Monday 1 December 2014

BAF12 - Professional 2 screening

Rainy Days, directed by Vladimir Leschiov.

What really stood out to me was the medium this animation was created: black tea and ink. It gives a lovely atmosphere and ambiance to the film. It also fits with the flashback format of the animation. The short is about an old Japanese man boarding a ferry with a (to him) unknown destination. When it starts raining he sees flashbacks of his past. He remembers some of the stormy/rainy days in his past with a woman as a recurring figure. All the flashbacks have Mount Fuji in common as well.
I thought it was a gorgeous animation and beautifully done, really enjoyed all of it.


Hasta Santiago, directed by Mauro Carraro.

Created with a mix of 2D and 3D computer animation, it really has 2D feel to it lovely mix between the two media. (One of things I wish to do in the future, creating a crossover between 2D and 3D animation). The man starts on his journey of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. It seems he gets lost at one point, meeting lots of different people in his path. We encounter him in many different places and locations, getting along with the different travellers who seem to share a bit of their journey with each other. 
I thoroughly enjoyed this short without feeling it was a story which took a long time to tell (13 minutes). The colour gradation was beautiful and gave me a really nice vibe which I can't really describe. The colours also made me think of those illustrations in children books I used to read when I was little.


No comments:

Post a Comment