Thursday 4 December 2014

BAF17 - Overall thoughts

Overall I'm really glad I went to the festival, even though it was quite draining for me. When I went to Stuttgart this year I already thought it was pretty exhausting and that was 3.5, so five days was a bit madness! Because I have a really bad sleeping pattern and a shortage of sleep because of that, I dozed off quite some times during events, which I'm really ashamed about.

A good thing: I stepped a bit above myself and spoke to some of the speakers, a thing I never really did because I was scared. During the small set "meet the speakers" I came up to them afterwards to ask to take pictures. It's not much, but it's a big thing for me to just walk up to these big figures, almost 'heroes', and flat out ask them for a photo, so that was a nice first step. Then I stepped up a bit more and asked a question during a big talk in the big lecture hall. My heart beating in my throat I managed to ask the question decently. I was always afraid to ask questions in big settings like this, first because I'm afraid I'll mess up (especially if it's an unknown setting in a different language. I have no difficulty talking up in a big lecture hall during a lecture while being with people I know though), or because I'm afraid to look like a fool.

I know there are also lots of people, newer to this world than I am who talk to these people, just like that. I'm really envious of those, but these two steps I took during this week are not just steps to me, they're leaps. So I hope in future events like this I'll be able to push myself even further. This world is all about presenting yourself, sitting quiet in the background won't get you far.

Aside of me stepping out of my comfort zone, it was a pretty enjoyable week. I've seen lots of shorts for the second time (that's what you get for going to multiple festivals, but that's a good thing, right?) but also many new ones. It was really nice to see what's all out there.

My main things for a next festival or event like this are to get some proper sleep so I'll be awake through it all, and to step out of my comfort zone more and more, talk to people!

No comments:

Post a Comment