Sunday 14 December 2014

Responsive session 11 december

This session we had to prepare our first take on the presentation boards. The ideas was that we had to present our proposals and ideas in front of your own group and ask for feedback on how to improve for next session after Christmas break.

Here below are my presentation boards.



What I mainly wanted to show on my boards are the things I aimed to create in the amount of time given, and in what context said creations can be displayed. I made some rough storyboards that illustrate my take on the designs of the packaging. I tried to give the different flavours a bit of a background story, how they could've been created. I wanted to use the same style they use for the packaging to make sure they're in unison. I thought the aesthetics of the packaging used in  a commercial for example, would make the ad lighthearted and would hopefully bring a bit of joy.

I tried to look for different options the ads can be displayed. The first thing we think about is on television, but since this is quite a young company, they might not have enough money for that, or wouldn't like to spend that amount of money. Other options are are ads to be played before videos on youtube, ads that play muted besides content on different kinds of websites, or simplified versions of the "full ad" to be altered to fit the horizontal or vertical bars on websites. Another option on the internet might be sponsored messages on social media feeds like facebook.

The discussions:

As usual, we had to make lists this session.
This time it was a list on what feedback do I want/need?
We put together this list:
  • Contextual feedback
  • Are you well informed?
  • Is the structure clear?
  • Is it a realistic/achievable goal I have set?
  • Research?
  • Context is key: does it work?
  • Does it look good? Aesthetically pleasing
Together with the whole class we put this list together:
  • Does my idea/proposal communicate the appropriate concept.
  • Does the pitch meet the specs of the brief?
  • Do the boards communicate the proposal effectively?
  • Is the response suitable for the audience?
  • Is the choice/use of media appropriate?
  • Is the response achievable in the time available?
  • Is the response appropriate to an identified context?
  • Is the visual concept/direction appropriate to the tone?
  • Do the deliverables meet the mandatory requirements?
  • How can the response be improved?
After shortly pitching my boards I first already got this feedback:
What colours do I want to use? The original colours might be a bit bright and loud in your face, maybe use some alterations to make it still fit with the original, but also a bit more exiting. 
How is all the formal stuff placed in the ad? Voice over to make clear what the product is about?
How will the endscreen look like, where is it available, what more is important to add?
Maybe an idea to try and animate (a bit of) one? To see how the aesthetics will be.
Create moving storyboards based on this feedback. 
Proud to mention the girls found them clear and fun.

Below I will list the progress reviews I got.

Strengths
  • The concept is great, charming narrative behind each story/animation
  • I've though about how i can incorporate the pre existing visual aesthetic of Propercorn
  • Simple but very effective ideas. Love the chive one: perfect for short but professional advert.
  • Insight into the journey/life behind Propercorn
  • Very neatly and well presented boards: clear!
  • Animation ideas are playful and good: sparks interest, put in a different light
  • Animation is all aesthetically well tied into their current image: so it's relevant

Ideas for improvement

  • Is there a way I can include/communicate the "care" or "time and dedication" that goes into the production of Propercorn, as the slogan "Propercorn, done properly" implies?
  • Propose a colour scheme, try colours that work well with the animations as well as the colours they have on their products (if they haven't specified ones)
  • Experiment with textures
  • Perhaps try to make e.g. the designs for the web banners even more
  • Create 1 original/different, that way it will make the work more original to me

Questions

  • How long is each commercial?
  • Can Propercorn afford tv advertising? if not, in what alternative context could this exist? Their website?
  • Can I produce on animation to submit?
  • What sound will I include? Voice over, male/female, background sounds (e.g. the chopping of the knife)
  • Who are my audience, when do they watch tv? what is the prime time to air the commercial?
  • What exactly am I trying to communicate?
  • Could I use for other examples for the contextual research?
  • Will I have to include any logos and information etc?

Furthermore we put a list of expectations together with the class to finish the session:
  • More resolved visual concepts
  • More appropriate/considered visual aesthetic
  • More professional/clearer presentation
  • Clear timescales and deadlines
  • Refined brief (including specific audience)
  • Production tests
  • More work
  • Mock ups
  • Contextualisations
  • Existing Feedback & confirmed decisions to direct feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment