Friday 2 January 2015

I got an internship!

I've been in contact with a studio after sending an email with the question if they would have a spot for me starting next april, my portfolio and showreel attached. (actually, the first time round I sent the mail I forgot to attach them. Oops. No wonder I got no response.) The second time round I sent the mail I got a mail back within a week saying I should come by soon to meet the animators.

I was guessing this was going to be kind of a application/job interview so I was quite excited. At first I wouldn't return to the Netherlands until 22 December, so I couldn't come by since the animation team would be off for Christmas so I was a bit bummed out that I had to wait until the end of January to visit. When I suddenly rescheduled my flight to the 17th, I immediately sent a mail asking if I was able to visit either thursday or friday. And so I came by on thursday.

At first I got a short tour through the studio and met the animators. Then Harold (the one half of the founders) got me a seat next to one of the animators to go through my showreel and portfolio. I think I should change my format of my portfolio. Since we started at the top with my most recent work and we scrolled down and down I started to cringe more and more. That's something for later worry though.

It was really fun meeting the animators and it all felt really natural. I didn't feel uncomfortable while taling about my past projects. What's a bummer though is that I wasn't able to show what I am currently working on since I didn't make a recent playblast and he wasn't able to open my file (backwards incompatibility, damn it!) But overall he seemed quite enthusiastic about my work so that's a relief. Furthermore I got a sneak peek at their recent (finished) projects to look a bit more into what they're working on, since not all of it is visible content on their website.

I had an amazing experience doing the "internship interview(?)" and I'm glad to say that I was welcome to come working there for my internship next april!

No comments:

Post a Comment