Sunday 11 January 2015

More process and uncontrollable hair.

When I finished the bodily animation, I started looking for how I wanted my lighting. At first I started with a few directional lights. This made it look a bit queer, since it formed shadows on places no shadows should exist. Mat told me that indoors directional lights isn't used since it's the light mostly used for outdoor scenes. So instead I added a few pointlights for an overall lighted atmosphere, and to make it more dramatic, performance-esque, Mat advised me to add a spotlight and get rid of the walls. And I'm quite happy with the results. I might have to add a very weak spotlight here and there to add a bit more dimension to the face since at some points it doesn't catch much light and very little is seen.


In the meantime of adding lights to the scene and getting help from Mat on that front, I started animating the lipsync part of the animation. Over Christmas I had written down the entire monologue and broke it down onto a dope sheet. I planned the facial animation into a few different steps. First animate the mouth, since this will probably take most of the time out of them all. After I finished that I recorded my own face lipsyncing to the monologue to have some reference for the eyebrows. I made this decision since I'm not really sure how to animate the brows from the top of the head, since I will overdo it most of the time, I wanted it to look a bit natural, but still a bit dramatic. I skimmed through the audio bit by bit animating the eyebrows and eyelids at the same time. 
After that was finished I skimmed through the animation again to see if I wanted to tweak on some bits before I was going to cache my nHair.





But well, that was a disaster. I sort of expected things like this to happen, but not to this extent. I thought, since I followed an official tutorial on nHair from Autodesk, I would've had the correct settings for it to work, but looking back on it , it was probably mostly just for modelling purposes. The hair went all over the place defying  gravity and not maintaining the model. When I replayed the cache (After only caching about a 100 frames to test it out), the hair went even more crazy and errors galore! Not only the normal hair had fixation issues, the eyebrows didn't react like I expected them to. I hoped the hairs would've followed the curves I created them to, but instead they just followed gravity (like the hair on the head should've don) and just hung downwards from her face.
Tomorrow I'll go into the studio for some help, to see if we can fix this :D





No comments:

Post a Comment