Tuesday 6 January 2015

Responsive brief: 11secondclub part 2.

A quick recap on what exactly 11SecondClub actually was:
Briefly, the concept of 11SecondClub is to animate a lipsync with a technique of choice within a month to the selected audio file which is, of course 11 seconds long. Most of the entries are created with a 3D animation technique for the resources are quite easy and it's more doable to animate (with an already existing rig) within a month. If you don't have a working rig of your own, there are resources available online to use pre made rigs that are free to download. 
After the month is finished, members have the opportunity of five days to vote for all the entries. The voting system consists of a star system from 1 to 11. (With 1 star being really bad and 11 being outstanding.) After the five days of voting are over the winner gets selected and a small price will be received. This price is getting feedback/critique from a professional animator 

Since I couldn't finish the animation last time, I wanted to try  again this month. Honestly, I failed even more than before, but at least I could put my own made model to the test with this. This time I wanted to focus more on practicing the lipsync with my own rigged model. I found out I can't really make "realistic" looking exaggerated movements more professional rigs would be able to do, but at least I can make the lipsync look a tad alright looking?

I started with listening to the audio file multiple times and then writing down the sounds on a dope sheet, figuring out what sounds are on what frames. (will upload better scanned image soon.) After writing it all down, I could go ahead with animating the lipsync first. I then found out my blendshapes aren't the most ideal, but combining a few of them helped creating the mouth shapes somewhat how I desired them. 

Dope sheet and facial plane.





I've got to say. I had great ambitions when I started on this. But it seems my lack of decent planning and a load of more coursework made sure I couldn't finish this... again. I also wish I could've added at least a bit of movement to the head and shoulders (maybe even hands) to make it look better, but nah. Even if I could've animated this a bit further with the time I had left, it would not have been worthy to enter in the competition because it would lack a lot of things, like decent planning on acting, decent lipsyncable character and perhaps surroundings to make the scene look more complete.

I hope I could participate again this January, but since a week already has passed and a deadline for Character and Narrative is only two weeks away, I'm not sure how this will fit in the schedule, but I can at least try! We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment