Tuesday 13 January 2015

Qwertee design #2

For the second design I went for something inspired by Avatar, the Legend of Aang/Korra. In Avatar they have some sort of hybrid versions of animals: i.e. polar bear-dog, fire ferrets (mix between red panda and ferret), flying maki's and flying bisons. I always thought the flying bisons were really fun creatures and when we were more introduced with the baby ones in the Legend of Korra (In the legend of Aang they're only for a really short time on screen, so not really memorable) I thought they were extremely cute, so I tried to create a cute design that fits the creature.

For reference I used these images:

D'aww babies <3
Since I've never really drawn creatures from Avatar, I thought I should keep the design simple but recognisable, so I won't spend too much time on sketching it to make it "correct" or the way I wanted it too. I played around with some curves and came with the idea of a flying bison lying down, resting, sleeping or awaken from it's nap time? I then took a picture to load into Illustrator and tried a different approach this time, since last time was a disaster. (gotta learn from it!) So I tried to pay attention to the fact that I need to make the shapes closed if I want no unnecessary lines, and try to think in layers. The planes need to be in the correct order otherwise they will overlap incorrectly.


Since I wanted this "printed" on a light coloured t-shirt, the rules of QWERTEE allow me to use six colours in the design so I went ahead and used all six! I really needed them to, or I would've had to improvise a bit with the colours. If I wasn't allowed six colours I definitely should've worked with halftones again, and I really wanted to avoid it this time because I wanted to keep the design cute and simple. After colouring all the planes I went ahead and tweaked a lot of the lines to make them a bit smoother and afterwards I created the mockup kit for submission.



No comments:

Post a Comment