Monday 17 November 2014

BAF3 - Pommes Frites


I promised myself that I wasn't going to talk about this one, but because it still stands out so much for me, I couldn't leave it behind. Pommes Frites is a Dutch short directed by Balder Westein with voices of popular Dutch comedian Jochem Myjer.

I have really good memories of this one even though it's plain ridiculous and funny. The first time watching this short we were in Stuttgart attending the Trick Film Festival. My classmates and I were sitting at the back and our teachers somewhere in the front. Realising after a few seconds that it was Dutch what we where hearing, (I didn't think it at first, it didn't sound like Dutch, I got put off because of the subtitles at that time) our class got into a major laughing fit. It was quite shameful to be honest, it was so ridiculous. After the series of shorts had finished we were joking around with our teachers, who already were having a feeling it was us laughing so hysterically. (it sounded so familiar).

Aside from the great memories, I sincerely think the short is clever and cheeky. I love the combination of the stop motion puppets with the 3D animation for the mouth (I was actually thinking they used real life footage of Jochem's mouth for this, but maybe a 3D model instead?) I only noticed this after I saw the short a second time (which was past week, coincidentally.) I must say I was quite shocked the first time that they made a KKK reference. It's really a hit or miss kind of joke to make, but I think the credits scene is that what saves their asses from offended people because it makes it visible that the victim knows it was a pure accident. I have the worst kind of humour and find a lot of nonsense ridiculously funny, but I know this is a sensitive subject, so I'm really glad the short was received so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment