Monday 17 November 2014

BAF4 - Bigeety


To finish this series of shorts I wanted to show my love for this short, Bigeety, directed by Maurice Huvelin.

The style of animation reminded me of animations one of my teachers showed us last year but I can't figure out who made them, it frustrates me so much! (humans are displayed in tiny rectangles consisting of a few colours to distinguish the head from the body and such. one of the shorts I remember has a swimming pool with a diving board as a setting, any ideas?)

I really loved this simplistic style of animation, where the sound really plays an important part, as well as the visual language, for there is not much to look at. There's this Don-like kind of figure as the main who receives a phone call, but the phone is at the far other side and to reach it he has to face many dangers. Of course he doesn't do it himself and there's this sheriff figure helping him out, crossing the lake, defeating the crocodile, climbing past the tree and dinosaur. Only to find out the call has been disconnected. Sudden Tintin appears, and a while later Elliot? I thought it was really clever and funny to be honest.

I need to look up more of these kind of animations because they really know how to play with composition and visual language, because there is not much to play with and they still get the message/story across. A lot of people (including myself) tend to overlook the simplicity of animation and what it can do, so we are more likely to overdo everything and it's really just one big of a mess.

So, any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment