Tuesday 11 November 2014

Writing letters is hard!

One of the things I'd like to achieve while I'm here in the UK is to expand my professional skills. I always have a hard time talking to other people in the business, may it be "just" students from different academies, well-known and recognised artists or people from smaller studios located in either the Netherlands or any country close.
For example: while we were in Stuttgart last april, some of my friends were able to easily speak to (independent) animators, while I remember me staying on the sideline, kind of afraid of what to say?

Since I was little, I was never really able to talk to strangers for starters. Having a summerjob where you have to talk a lot to people (life guard on a camping park) and studying animation have opened me up a bit, but it's still a bit rusty when meeting completely new people.

Back to professional skills:
For uni back in the Netherlands I have to look for an internship from easter and onwards. I feel it still might be a bit early to already send an official application form to the studios I'm interested in, for I feel I'm not fully prepared yet (portfolio, showreel). But I am feeling I at least should let them know of my existence and interest in working as a part of their team. That's why I already want to send out some mails to get some information and whether they are interested in interns or not.
I come across one problem though and that is that every time I try to write a formal letter, I feel like it's terrible and very cringe worthy. So the thing I'm going to do now is that I'm going to write a letter everyday in the hope that I can improve my formal writing. I think I might send out the mail for real to a few of the studios I'm interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment