Thursday 13 November 2014

Metal induction

Yesterday we got inducted to the metal workshop. I wasn't really looking forward to it since I already had a similar induction in my first year of studying in the Netherlands and because I already spent some time in the metal workshop there.
Boy was I wrong. The workshop here is much bigger with quite the few more machinery than we have back home, so this morning turned out to be quite interesting.

Basically the workshop is divided into two areas for mainly one reason: to avoid the poisoning of the materials, since some materials are easily affected by others. The first part was the Jewellery, where you can work with the fine materials, mainly used for fashion purposes and perhaps to create armatures for animation? Probably more uses for this area but I don't really know now from the top of my head.
Some machinery can be used without permission, they are safe to use without guidance like the metal cutter, tiny grinder thingies and of course all the hand tools like pliers. (who needs guidance using pliers? Are you going to shove them up your nose or something.)
There was also a station with "flamethrowers". It was awesome. At this station you heat up the materials to the point that they're soft and can bend easily. They'll get stiff over the time you are working with it, so you'll have to heat it again. After you're finished with, for example, copper, you have to put it in a "pickle bath" to get rid of all the residu from heating it. After that it can be polished to your liking.

Other machineries have the properties to either cut, drill, bend or deform the material. All pretty big and scary machines, so you're not allowed to use them yourself. (Unless you want to miss 3,5 fingers but he won't let you. He probably has eyes in the back of his head as well.) BY THE WAY: RULE NUMBER ONE: follow all the safety guidelines. Use the goggles, face protectors, gloves etc, or you will be in big trouble mister!

The area I must say I liked the most was the welding bay. It was just spectacular, the different tools for welding (it was also quite funny to see David freak out every time a new toy was introduced. "It's not even on, mate.")

After introduction an hour was left to create something from the scrap copper that he put on the bench. I wanted to heat up the metal because it seemed like a fun thing to do. Afterwards I used some fabric lace to give the material a bit of texture. I then saw it was a perfect piece of copper to create a ring from, so I tried to cut it to size and I got a little bit of help with it. He also helped me with welding it together using some silver. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Looking back I think I made the ring quite too wide (it covers the whole part of my finger between the knuckles, so it tends to be a bit painful while bending the finger) and it's perhaps a bit too snug to fit comfortably (And my finger turned green instantly, whoa annoying. Nonetheless, it was fun to do. After that I spent some time cutting holes in copper and using the circles to emboss them and make tine domes because it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment