Sunday 16 November 2014

Creating the first prop

For the scene I had a bedroom in mind for the environment/setting. So a few props need to be made. I was thinking of a bed, bed night stand, maybe a lamp, but a clock that you can place on the stand for sure (maybe an old school alarm clock or more modern even, I'm not sure yet.)

So I started off with a bed. I took a picture from a bed from Ikea as reference (oh god my bed back home is the same! oh, Ikea.)




I started of with the "frame", because I wanted all the panels to have the same materials so I could group them easier in maya. For fun I added the bottom as well, even though it won't be visible (you know, the slatted thing), just to be correct, ha! I made a mattress and some pillows. I "fluffed" up the pillows using the sculpt geometry tool. When I made some simple duvet covers I was pondering how I would lay them on the bed. At first I tried something with nCloth, so it would drape nicely on the bed, and then freeze the geometry like that so it would be all nice and pretty. That failed miserably for I have no clue how nCloth works. Silly me. Then I thought I would use the sculpt geometry tool again to make it "drape" over the edges of the bed and over the pillows.


Then manually using planar mapping I laid out some UV maps for all the pieces and created some simple patterns for on the textures. I know that Ikea bed doesn't have any bump texture on the surface, so I wouldn't have to bother with that. (yay!) I created a sweet pattern for on the duvet covers and placed them on the textures.


Prop one done.



No comments:

Post a Comment